The pros and cons of chemotherapy for those with cancer are all connected with a number of different issues, starting with:
- Chemotherapy does an effective job of eradicating a cancerous tumour and adverse cells in the body.
- The reality that chemotherapy can at the same time, possibly destroy healthy cells and tissue also.
And so, the issue of it as a possible cancer treatment, can indeed be a very much double-sided sword due to the fact that it can be both a healthy and unhealthy treatment at the very same time.
Basically a Modern Treatment
As a matter of fact, not that long ago, chemotherapy was actually not viewed as being an effective therapy for those suffering with cancer.
It’s only been in more recent times, that researchers in the field of medicine have found, that chemotherapy medication such as:
- Estramustine phosphate
All have shown that they help to help reduce the uncomfortable symptoms of advanced cases of cancer, that then further goes on to prolong patients’ lives. This helps to improve a patient’s all round quality of life, something which those seeking to learn more about chemotherapy in Singapore, should definitely consider.
Overnight Stays are not required
- Another advantage from chemotherapy is knowing that the amount of chemotherapy being administered can be easily modified, all depending on how much every cancer patient is in need of.
- In addition, chemotherapy can be utilised on an outpatient basis, meaning that cancer patients will not be required to stay overnight in a hospital to receive their therapy.
One of the most obvious disadvantage is that although chemotherapy can stop any further growth of a cancer, at the same time, chemotherapy cannot be fully guaranteed to affect all cancers.
Chemotherapy is known to eliminate healthy cells and cancerous cells and there can be different side effects, such as:
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of hair
- Mouth sores due to possible damage done to one’s digestive tract.
Negative symptoms may also include being more receptive to sickness due to:
- The reduction of white blood cells
- General tiredness
- An increased tendency towards bruising, bleeding, and internal bleeding
There may also be specific side effects such as:
- Optical disturbance
- Negative moods
Stick to Professional Advice
Medical experts will advise all patients to ensure that they drink sufficient amounts of water, eat healthier foods and drinks (no alcohol) while they are going along with a course of chemotherapy treatment.
And, there are easy over the counter medicines that will reduce any cases of things like constipation or diarrhoea. A good diet, using the right medicine, and even using a soft toothbrush will assist in lessening any negative side effects of chemotherapy; although some side effects can happen.
Whatever You Do Stay Positive
In the very best interests of all patients, any side effect should be noted and reported to the doctor as soon as possible.