The electrician is just one of a few tradespeople that we allow access to our private home, and whether it is a planned visit or an emergency, we heavily rely on the electrician to carry out necessary work. If you have recently moved, or just got your foot on the property ladder, and are in the process of sourcing a reliable electrician, here are a few positive indicators to look out for.
- Approved Contractor – One cannot afford to take any chances with electricity, and by using an industry approved contractor, you can be sure the work will be completed to a very high standard. If you live in the UK, NIC approval is a sure sign that best practices and safety are at the top of the list, and if you require an electrical installation in Wolverhampton, for example, an online search will bring up a list of contractors, and you can browse at your leisure.
- Polite and Eager to Please – It is so much nicer when a person is polite and demonstrates a “can do” attitude, and this should be evident from the very outset. Normally, the electrician will have to survey the property before giving a quote, but if you made a telephone or online enquiry, you should expect a prompt response. Often, there are alternatives with an electrical job, and this is something the electrician should explain to the customer, and by keeping you informed, you are in a position to make the right choice.
- Affordability – Some companies seem to price themselves out of the market, while others are very reasonably priced, and by asking several local companies for a quote, you will get a clearer idea of what is reasonable and what is not. If a company is to build a good reputation within a community, they cannot be overpriced, and something in the mid-range would be where to aim.
- Availability – Of course, you want the job doing according to your schedule, and if it is an emergency, then they should be there within 30 minutes. It is a good idea to always use a company that does have an emergency call out service, and whenever the need arises, you know the contractor. It goes without saying that an emergency call out would require prompt action, and if the company is established, they would have mobile teams who are on call day and night.
- A Solid Warranty – Any work carried out should be guaranteed for a reasonable period of time, and should the need ever arise prompt attention is the order of the day. Using best practices and top quality components should ensure that every job is a lasting solution.
Most homeowners keep a list of essential tradespeople in their smartphone memory, and once you have found a good electrician, there’s no need to look anywhere else. If you are currently in need of some electrical work, ask your friends if they can recommend a contractor, or failing that, an online search will point you in the right direction.